Meetings and Events
The Orange County California Genealogical Society conducts:
- monthly General Membership meetings
- beginning genealogy class
- special interest group meetings
- annual research trip to Salt Lake City
- annual Genealogy BASH and Book Faire
Consult the OCCGS Calendar for more information about our meetings.
General Membership Meetings
OCCGS General Membership Meetings are held on the first Saturday of each month, except June and December. The meetings are held at the Huntington Beach Central Library, lower level, Rooms C and D. Please use the Theater Entrance when attending.
First time visitors are welcome to attend the General Membership Meetings and may sign in at our greeter's table. You will be introduced during the meeting.
Starting at 9:00 AM are Special Interest Group (SIG) Meetings as well as society project meetings as needed. The General Membership Meeting starts at 10:00 AM and includes the following:
- a discussion of Society business
- introduction of our guests and first time members
- access to a "Resource Table" with a variety of reference materials and supplies for sale
- access to a "Lineage Table" for help in applying to a lineage society such as the DAR and Mayflower Society
Following the General Membership Meeting we have a guest speaker who presents a topic of interest to genealogists and family historians of all levels.
FREE Beginning Genealogy Class
The Beginning Genealogy class is now being held on the first Monday of each month except December and January. Class starts at 7:00 PM in the Balboa Room at the Huntington Beach Central Library. Check the Calendar to confirm dates and times.
Special Interest Group meetings are conducted at 9:00 AM on the General Membership meeting Saturdays. Check the Calendar to see specific dates and topics.
- Regional Genealogical Research (British, French/Canadian, German, Scots/Irish, Spanish)
- Popular Genealogy Software (Ancestry 101, Family Tree Maker, Legacy, Roots Magic)
- Ask any genealogy question - hosted by one of our professional genealogists
Research Trip to the FHL, Salt Lake City
Information and 2019 Reservation Form (Member's Only)
OCCGS sponsors an Annual Research Seminar at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City each Spring for OCCGS Members. Our members have this opportunity to spend 6 days and 7 nights with experienced researchers from OCCGS, plus professional researchers who live and work in Salt Lake City. The tour includes accommodations at Salt Lake Plaza hotel (next to the FHL), workshops, speakers, Monday Night Banquet and a Brunch, plus daily help while at the Family History Library.
Genealogy BASH and Book Faire
OCCGS hosts an Annual Genealogy BASH and Book Faire in March. The BASH is held at the Huntington Beach Public Library, where an expert speaker presents on current topics, books are offered at exceptional prices, and genealogy-related exhibitors are available to answer questions. It's a fun day for genealogy enthusiasts! For more information see our BASH and Book Faire section.